All right, I am currently sat staring at blank word document trying to figure out what to write in my second article, or more matter of factly how to write this second article. I’ve not managed to get a game in this week, and I’ve not really written a painting article before, but hey let’s give it a shot.
So, in truth I’ve not managed to get any actual painting down this week, but thankfully I’ve finished a couple of test models, which I’m going to show you, and I’ve gotten a good start on one of the units, something which has always been a problem for me to tackle.
First up, is the Stormblade Captain. Well, I’ll tell you this guy’s stock has shot up in the last few months that I’ve been on hiatus, which is nice because the model is far superior to the current plastic Stormblades, which I have to tell you are miserable models. Yuck. I hate to say it but I kind of want the metal ones back.
Now, let me explain something. I think I’m an okay painter. Not great, but I think I can manage to paint pretty well when I want to. The problem I have is I’m a bit of a perfectionist. I want everything to be the best it can be, and while that can be cool to do on Warcasters, and Solos, it really slow down the progress of an army when you try to apply that standard to every model. Does that mean that people can’t achieve that, no, it just means that for me, I need to set realistic expectations and try to stick to them.
Enter this current painting style. A few years ago, pardon me while I reminisce, when I used to play Warhammer Fantasy, and 40K, I picked up a few techniques on how to paint an army fast. Some of them I didn’t like, some of them I did. This technique is sort of specific. When I started using it I was painting Orks, and let me tell you it’s not really possible to paint Orks wrong as long as you’re consistent. So, when it came to painting the crisp clean lines of the Swans I wasn’t sure how the technique was going to fair.
Back to the Captain. With this guy I encountered a fair number of problems for the particular style I like to use when painting fast, and as I’m not an expert by any means I kind of just had to wing it and see where things went. I had to find some way to differentiate between the gold on his armour, and the gold fabric on his cloak, so I mucked about with some NMM techniques and muddled my way through the swan on the back.
As you can see the style favours bold colours/highlights, though looking at the above picture the red appears to be fairly two-toned, but thankfully I just want it to look good at a table-top level. I used mostly GW paints on the army so far, and despite the metals not being exactly what I wanted I couldn’t be happier with the result.
Now, by no means do I think this is an award-winning paint style, but it is something different than the normal paint-wash-drybrush that I normally see. However, it is somewhat of a daunting prospect to be staring down the line of a crowd of unpainted models knowing that you need to get them done.
Thankfully, the new GW paints, once you’ve managed to work out the groupings, are easy to use. They allow you to apply a basecoat straight over black in some cases, as done above, and then they give you two extra “highlight” colours that make highlighting the sections a lot easier.
The basing is going to be the tricky bit. I wanted to avoid the overused sand/gravel/kitty litter that so commonly appears, and I’ve seen some great stuff done with GW’s technical paints. I decided to try out their Martian Ironearth, and here on Anastasia you can see the first results. I’m no expert with the product, but I think with some practice, and some fiddling you could do some pretty spectacular bases.
Anyway, that’s all for me this week. If you want some more detailed painting articles, I can see what can be arranged, and once I get some more time to grind through the Stormblades, I’ll make sure to take a few pictures. I had hoped to get the army done by the end of the month, but that’s looking less likely with all the life events going on, but I’ll keep chipping away.